The practitioners at the Center recognize that diet is often the basis for your heath and your potential to heal. Adopting a healthy diet is often the first step towards correcting health problems. Many medical conditions can be treated more effectively when the patient implements specific diets and uses nutritional supplements. These interventions afford fewer complications and side effects than some pharmaceutical treatments and are often more beneficial.
The Stram Center for Integrative Medicine provides individualized, cutting edge nutrition therapy. Consult with the Stram Center's nutritionist Holly J. Niles, MS,CNS, LDN for an appropriate and tailored nutrition program just for you. Holly's experience, vast knowledge, and passion combine to offer a wide variety of services to meet everyone’s unique and individual needs.
Nutritionists' services include: Medical Nutrition Therapy, Integrative and Functional Nutrition Therapy, Herbal and Supplemental Recommendations, Nutrition Counseling, and Clinical Nutrition.
Our approach to nutrition counseling is simple, yet extremely effective. A patient must embrace specific and effective lifestyle changes at their pace in order to achieve improved health outcomes for their entire life. Many small and precise changes will add up to make a very focused and sustainable plan. Begin taking control of your optimal health plan and schedule an appointment today.
Nutrition Services include but are not limited to the following:
- Chronic Pain: Food intolerances can lead to inflammatory conditions that cause chronic pain. Nutritional intervention can change the course of your body's inflammatory response and greatly reduce chronic pain symtoms.
- Integrative Oncology: Nutrition is an essential piece of an optimal health plan for anyone battling cancer, or looking to prevent cancer. Current research estimates that between 35% to 60% of cancer cases can be linked back to dietary factors alone. This is more than tobacco, air/water pollution, alcohol, radiation, and medications combined.Holly can develop an individualized plan to help minimize treatment side effects, while maximizing the benefits of the treatment. Holly will develop a nutrition and supplement plan to boost/support the immune system, fight the cancer at the cellular level, and change the very environment that may be fueling the cancer.
- Weight Loss/Weight Management: It has been proven the being overweight or obese are major risk factors for many diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. It is estimated that more than one-third of U.S. adults are obese. Given that these are mostly preventable diseases, it is essential for one to work towards achieving and maintaining an optimal weight. As weight loss can be quite difficult for many, Holly will work with you to develop an individualized and effective weight loss/weight management plan. One must realize that it takes time to gain weight, so it will also take time to lose weight. We will develop a plan with you to promote a gradual and sustainable weight loss. The changes will be made by you and at your pace in order to develop a plan that will last an entire lifetime as opposed to a one or two month experiment.
- Heart Disease/Cholesterol Management: Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America and is mostly preventable. Diet has a major impact on the health and longevity of your heart. We can develop a heart healthy plan to reduce your cholesterol levels and take control and/or prevent heart disease.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is one of the top 10 leading causes of death, and has also been linked to increasing the risk of many other issues including heart disease, cancer, stroke, and kidney disease. A healthy lifestyle is the essential intervention to successfully manage or prevent diabetes. Work with Holly to determine which foods are appropriate to control your blood sugar. Improving your lifestyle may also improve energy, mental focus, mood, and your overall well-being. Specific and tailored dietary/lifestyle interventions have been proven to improve blood sugar control and actually cause a reduction in diabetic medications for many patients.
- Lyme Disease: Lyme Disease can be a very serious and debilitating disease, especially in the Northeastern United States. Diet can have a major impact on successfully managing and treating Lyme Disease. Come learn how to implement a plan to help fight the Lyme Disease as well as restore your health as you work to obtain optimal health.
- Vegetarian & Vegan Nutrition: A plant-based diet has been shown to be the healthiest diet to follow for most people. It can successfully be part of a treatment plan for most diseases/disorders as well as a key to disease prevention. Come learn how a plant-based diet can help you thrive.
- Celiac Disease/Food Sensitivities/ Food Intolerances: Celiac Disease, food sensitivities and food intolerances can be incapacitating issues for many. An individualized and tailored plan is essential for one to regain control and enjoyment of eating. The Stram Center can offer specific food sensitivity/food intolerance testing to help determine which foods are problematic for you. These tests are used as part of a detailed assessment process to create an appropriate and effective plan to address your sensitivities/intolerances.
- Detox: Toxins can be an issue for many people and for a variety of reasons. Diet can be an essential way to detox and regain control of your help. Work with us to develop a tailored and effective detox plan just for you.
- Diseases/Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract: Diseases/Disorders of the GI tract can hinder one’s health. Work with Holly to learn how to manage your issues such as Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Our nutritionist will take a gentle, tailored, yet effective approach to addressing your issues impacting your GI tract.
- HIV/AIDS: HIV/AIDS can be a very manageable disease when addressed with an integrative approach. Come learn how to support/boost your immune system, manage any medication side effects, as well as maximize your optimal health plan.
- Culinary Instruction, including Cooking Classes and Cooking Demonstrations: Holly can combine the skills of culinary arts with the science of nutrition. Learn how to prepare and enjoy easy, delicious, and nutritious food. Holly will demonstrate quick and healthy recipes and cooking techniques to maximize the healing and disease fighting potential of your food, while minimizing the time and energy in the kitchen! Reclaim your excitement about food and cooking. Holly will highlight seasonal and local produce that you can easily incorporate into your diet.
Let food be your medicine
Take control of your health by embracing a nutritious lifestyle. Nutrition is an essential piece to any optimal health plan, and may be your key towards healing or preventing illness.
Personal Hands-On Cooking Classes Available On Request:
Holly will teach you how to create delicious and nutritious meals to meet your individual nutrition needs. She will provide one on one hands on cooking instruction in a calm and casual learning environment. Together you will plan an individualized meal based on your unique nutritional needs. Please call the Delmar office for details: 518.689.2244.
To make an appointment with Holly for starting your nutrition program call the Stram Center: 518 689-2244 or Click Here to Contact Us by Email.