Medical massage therapy identifies the massage therapist as having more medical training and focuses the sessions more specifically. Medical massage therapy can utilize a combination of manual medicine techniques as described below to optimize the effectiveness of this mode of treatment.
Massage therapy offers the following benefits to cancer patients:
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- Nausea relief
- Relieves insomnia
- Relieves headaches
- Manages pain
- Reduces the need for medication
- Reduction of swelling
- Increases flexibility
- Softening of scar tissue
- Positive body awareness
Developed by Dr. John Upledger, D.O.
- Facilitates and balances the flow of cerebrospinal fluid using gentle hand-holds and manipulations of the torso, spine and cranium
- Directly effects the entire nervous system and promotes the parasympathetic response
- Offers the same benefits as massage, as well as stimulation of the immune system
- A manual technique that can be used when massage is contraindicated
Learn more about CranioSacral Therapy
Lymphatic Drainage Massage:
- Very light massage facilitating the flow of the lymph involving light, repetitive strokes of the skin
- Used to reduce swelling and edema
- Improves immune function
- Aides in enhancing soft tissue healing and reducing scar tissue after surgery
- Promotes parasympathetic response reducing stress and tension
Learn more about Lymphatic Drainage Massage
Reiki Promotes Balance Through Energy Healing
Energy healing has been around for thousands of years. Reiki, which has also been called hands-on healing or energy work, is a form of energy healing.
If your life force energy is low, then you are more prone to get sick or feel stress. Alternatively, if your life force energy is high, you are more capable of being healthy and peaceful.
Reiki is the Japanese healing art that utilizes hands-on healing to support the normal flow and balance of the human energy field which helps promote the innate healing process. Reiki not only helps to strengthen and restore the body’s own natural ability to heal but is also utilized to support general health and well-being.
One Center client was so moved after a session, she said that Reiki helped her to remember it’s such a natural thing to love and be loved.
Health Benefits of Reiki
Reiki is utilized to support general health and well-being.
Reiki can be used as a complementary therapy to medical treatment. Reiki always complements and enhances virtually any health care a patient receives in the hospital or from other health care providers.
Typically, following a session you can expect to feel enormously relaxed, and at peace.
Reiki Helps To:
- Reduce stress
- Relieve pain
- Promote restfulness and improved sleep
- Relieve anxiety and depression
- Limit the side effect of radiation and chemotherapy
- Accelerate wound healing
- Ameliorate pre-operative anxiety
- Decrease post-surgical pain
- Increase immune function
- Improve circulation
- Increase a sense of well-being
Benefits of Reiki as a Complementary Therapy to Medical Treatment:
- Simple, safe
- Can be self-administered and used as tool for relaxation at any time
- Works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques
- Beneficial during any illness
Learn more about Reiki
Our Team Approach to the Cancer Patient Includes:
- Helping to navigate through the myriad of evidence-based, unproven and potentially harmful complementary healthcare choices
- Reduction of the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments
- Improvement and optimization of immune system functioning
- Proper guidance and timing of anti-oxidant and detoxification treatments
- Clinical nutrition to increase energy and maintain lean body mass
- Supplementation with vitamins, herbs and botanical formulations with attention to potential interactions with pharmaceutical treatments
- Reduction of anxiety and depression and improvement of quality of life through yoga, meditation, guided imagery, reiki and massage therapy
- Support for family members and/or caregivers
Learn more about Cancer Care
Supplementation Therapies Including Vitamins, Herbs and Botanicals to:
- stimulate and increase immune system function
- encourage cellular repair and regeneration
- accelerate the process of recovery
- provide preventative immune support
- inhibit disease progression
- enhance treatment efficacy
- bolster cancer-fighting capacity
Learn more about Supplements and Vitamins
Our Special Team Approach To Your Health Care
At the Center, our practitioners have the opportunity to consult with complementary practitioners and medical doctors about your health concerns and the progress you are making. These practitioners are always available to you as well.
We take great pride in our staff’s special team consulting approach to the care of our patients, giving you the best that Integrative Medicine has to offer.
Integrative Medicine, practiced here at The Center, is based on a more caring practitioner-client partnership which incorporates the best of conventional Western medicine with alternative and complementary Eastern therapies resulting in a safer, more natural, whole body approach to stimulate the body’s natural healing potential.
Click here to read about all Cancer Care therapies.
The Best Hands-On Massage Therapy Available
Our massage therapy at the Stram Center provides you with the highest trained medical massage therapy available. Our therapist, Marie McMahon, LMT works together with the Stram Team so that you benefit from the skill and knowledge of the entire staff.
Make an Appointment
Call The Center at 518.689.2244 to make an appointment Click Here to Contact Us by Email.