Acupuncture provides a valuable complimentary therapy for the reduction of the symptoms and stresses of the cancer patient.
In addition to its well known effectiveness at reducing many pain syndromes, reducing insomnia and anxiety and moderating digestive complaints, a great deal of research illustrates the importance of acupuncture in the holistic approach to cancer management.
Some of the many benefits of acupuncture include:
- Reduction of nausea and emesis with acupuncture, electroacupuncture and acupressure both on its own, and alongside pharmaceutical anti-emetics
- Improvement in white blood cell counts in patients receiving chemotherapy
- Reduction of pain and improvement of mobility in the cancer patient
- Reduction in radiation-induced xerostomia and related dysphagia
- Chemotherapy-induced fatigue
- Reduction of vasomotor symptoms in men undergoing treatment for prostate cancer
Judging from the amount of current research, the list of recognized benefits that acupuncture can provide will continue to increase.
Our Licensed Acupuncturists
Rebecca Rice uses acupuncture to treat patients here at the Delmar Stram Center. Rebecca is a New York State licensed acupuncturist, nationally certified and has developed a reputation for her effective acupuncture-based healing techniques.
Management of the Cancer Patient at the Stram Center for Integrative Medicine:
In coordination with Dr. Stram and Dr. Puc treatment plans are developed for the cancer patient with the goal of enhancing conventional cancer therapies (chemotherapy and radiation) and include:
- Review of caloric and diet history; establishing individualized nutrition assessment and dietary plans to optimize energy levels and maintain lean body mass
Supplementation therapies including vitamin, herbs and botanicals to:
- stimulate and increase immune system function
- encourage cellular repair and regeneration
- accelerate the process of recovery
- provide preventative immune support
- inhibit disease progression
- enhance treatment efficacy
- bolster cancer-fighting capacity
Integrative Medicine - Acupuncture for Cancer Patients
Integrative Medicine, practiced here at The Center, is based on a more caring practitioner-client partnership which incorporates the best of conventional Western medicine with alternative and complementary Eastern therapies resulting in a safer, more natural, whole body approach to stimulate the body’s natural healing potential.
Our Special Team Approach to Your Health Care
At the Center, our practitioners have the opportunity to consult with complementary practitioners and medical doctors about your health concerns and the progress you are making. These practitioners are always available to you as well.
We take great pride in our staff's special team consulting approach to the care of our patients, giving you the best that Integrative Medicine has to offer.
Make an Appointment
Please call the Delmar Stram Center at 518-689-2244 or Contact Us by Email.