Adult Nurse Practitioner- Board Certified, Integrative and Functional Medicine, Lyme Disease, Chronic Illness, Wellness, Prevention and Weight Loss, Nutritional Counseling, Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy, Oncology and HIV/AIDS
I have always been interested in nutrition and health. I did not however, always live a healthy lifestyle.
Having been raised in Europe, I took up a smoking habit in my late teens. Although I ate a very healthy diet, I was always getting sick. My smoking habit resulted in waking up one day with severe chest pain. I was determined to quit smoking and restore my body to optimal health. In order to not gain weight, I took on training for a marathon. I remember running on the first day and not making it to the end of the street. The damage I had done to my body was evident and I was determined to reverse it. Our body is a complex system that is influenced by many factors such as diet, environment and lifestyle factors. I completed my first marathon six months later. That is when I became acutely aware that given the proper tools, our bodies have an amazing ability to heal themselves.
I had over 15 years of clinical experience as a nurse before I became a Nurse Practitioner. I will always cherish my years of working with HIV/AIDS and cancer patients. They taught me so much about the strength and perseverance of the human spirit. Years of watching patients cycle through a system that is profit driven and forces physicians to practice mass-produced, assembly line medicine made me realize that I could not in good conscience practice in such a setting. Don’t get me wrong, I fully appreciate and value conventional medicine when it comes to managing emergencies and acute medical interventions. However it falls very short when it comes to the treatment of chronic disease such as heart disease, diabetes, auto-immune disease, chronic fatigue only to name a few. What I have seen is that the best way to help patients to heal is to use a true combination of conventional as well as many different alternative and complementary therapies.
I am currently working towards my functional medicine certification and have studied integrative medicine for over 15 years. This is true health care versus disease and symptom care. Good food is good medicine and bad food is bad medicine. I have seen it work first hand not only for my patients but also for myself. Over a third of American adults are obese and obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescent in the past 30 years. Diet related illness is costing over 250 billion dollars per year and we are sicker than we have ever been.
My approach to health and wellness includes identifying elements of your life that influence the course of illness as well as health. Genetics are a significant factor in our overall health. However, I believe that our genes load the gun and it is the environment and our lifestyle that pull the trigger. I focus on wellness, prevention and creating a self-care plan that supports healing with the use of dietary, nutritional and occasionally pharmaceutical appropriate treatments. We are much more than merely our symptoms. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves, given the proper tools.Experience:
- AAS Nursing Truman College, Chicago Illinois
- BS Nursing Sage College, Albany, NY
- Masters of Science Nursing Adult Nurse Practitioner Sage College Albany, NY
- Board Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner ANCC
- ILADS (International Lyme and Associated Disease Society) Member
- ACLS/BLS certified
- Chemotherapy/IV certified
- Holistic Nursing Society Member
- Comprehensive treatment for Lyme disease and tick born illnesses
- Nutrition and Lifestyle management including stress reduction and weight loss
- Disease and diagnostic assessment: Acute and Chronic Illness
- Treatment: holistic, whole person approach including prudent pharmaceutical intervention, safe and effective natural botanical medicine and nutrition therapies
- IV Therapy for Chronic Illness including Cancer, Lyme Disease, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia
- Bio Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Member - ILADS (International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society)
- Member- Holistic Nursing Society
- Member – Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Member – Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society
- Member – Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society