Integrative Medicine Blog
Planting Seeds of Health in 2017!
Some tips to helping you stay healthy all year long.
There is a lot of business during the Holiday season with parties and celebrations that include countless indulgences. It can feel like a race to the finish leading up to New Year’s Day. This is the time that we often consider ways to be healthier in the New Year. Making positive changes is like planting seeds to harvest as a healthy year. There are many areas to improve health from changing our diet, moving our body, getting more sleep and reducing stress. Making changes in those areas, very simply translates to better health. The key is staying with them beyond the first few weeks of the new year.
Here are a few tips to get you there:
- Create an intention for how you want to feel as the year unfolds. Better energy, slimming down, feeling stronger or improving health conditions are just some of things that motivate us. Make your statement clear and meaningful so that when you repeat it, it makes you feel great. Some suggestions are: I have a lean and strong body or My health has improving every day or I make choices to take care of myself. You may want to write them out or put them on your phone. Remind yourself every morning to keep you on track.
- Every change counts! Inch by inch, anything is a cinch. Simple changes can have a big impact.Start with one, two or all of these positive daily lifestyle changes:
- Add one more cup of veggies
- Add two more glasses of filtered water
- No processed foods for at least two meals per day (bread, bagels, pizza, crackers, desserts)
- Get outside for at least five minutes of fresh air
- Exercise in some way for at least 15 minutes
- Pause for at least 3-5 minutes of quiet and stillness (breathing, meditation, etc.)
DELICIOUS SPARKLING WATER RECIPES
It’s important to keep well hydrated to support immune health, so try sparkling water as an alternate drink option.
1. BLACKBERRY ROSEMARY
This fruit-herb water infusion is fruity and woodsy and the water turns such a gorgeous purple hue! It would also be great with blueberries.
Add 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blackberries and 1 stalk of rosemary to .5 liter (one small bottle, about 16 ounces) of sparkling water. Seal and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
2. CRANBERRY GRAPEFRUIT
This delicious fruit-herb blend is like a sweet-tart candy. Plus, both grapefruit and cranberries have body cleansing powers, so this is a fantastic detox drink.
Slice 1 grapefruit into 8 wedges. Add 2 grapefruit wedges and 2 tablespoons of fresh or frozen cranberries to .5 liter (one small bottle, about 16 ounces) of sparkling water. Seal and refrigerate for at least 24 hours
3. CINNAMON VANILLA
This cookie-smelling infusion is lush, sweet, and slightly spice-y. It tastes like cinnamon flavored cream soda.
Slice a vanilla bean down the middle to loosen and expose the beans inside. Cut it in half again the other way. Add the vanilla bean and one cinnamon stick to .5 liter (one small bottle, about 16 ounces) of sparkling water. Seal and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.